Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

As usual, I awoke early this morning for my skating lessons. I managed to sneak out of the room without being heard by my roommates. I made the long walk down to the rink attached to the Good Sports Center and did all my usual pre-lesson warm ups like usual. before I put my skates on, Coach came over and told me she wanted me to work on my double lutz jump off-ice for a bit, so we did. I think I did ok, because we started doing it on ice, and I didn't do so great on it after that. I usually landed heavy or didn't land at all. I don't think I've been bruised this much in years. Before my lesson was over, Coach took me aside and said
"I think you might want to try losing some weight Mia, it might help you land your lutz neater."
"Um, o-ok" I've never really thought much about my weight, it's always been pretty healthy. I mean, my thighs have always been a little thick, but that's because hockey and skating take a lot of leg muscle
"Here's a recommended diet and exercise regimen for a figure skater your age and level" She handed me the paper, which was headed with the words
A FIGURE SKATER'S MEAL PLAN
Never skip breakfast,  eat a granola bar or piece of fruit before an early morning practice and have cereal with skim milk and fruit, or an egg and fruit and a glass of milk.
for a mid afternoon snack, eat a granola bar, fruit or yogurt.
For lunch, vegetable soup or a turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread an low fat mayo.
A good afternoon snack would be fruit, peanut butter crackers, or a slice of cheese
Dinnertime you usually want to include a lean meat (turkey, chicken or lean beef) along with a salad or other green vegetable, a potato or other starch in some form (eg. rice, corn, whole wheat bread)
Milk and ghram crackers are a good choice for an evening snack, as long as it is eaten at least an hour before sleep.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!
this is a guide, use your own discretion on healthy choices for your meals and snacks. sweets are fine on occasion in moderation.

A FIGURE SKATER'S EXERCISE PLAN
outside of figure skating itself, a skate should
do thirty min's. of cardio daily (eg. a stationary bike, elliptical machine or treadmill)
one hour of weight training three times a week
off ice stretching exercises twice daily

I already don't skip breakfast, and the off ice stretches are mandatory for the team, so that's not a problem, but the other stuff will take some doing. my lesson was over, so i went to the locker rooms to change before classes started. I looked myself over in the mirror. I guess I am getting a little chubby around my stomach, and maybe my hips. but I can't be that heavy right? I may be a little thicker than like, Ashely or Brooklyn, but that doesn't mean I'm fat, at least I'm proportionate right? or maybe not. I'm going to take this seriously and land that lutz!

No comments:

Post a Comment